The National Assocation for Proton Therapy is a fantastic resource for both patients and people looking to learn more about the overall process. Here are a few facts from their website about proton therapy treatment:
- Most precise form of radiation treatment available today. Destroys primary tumor site, leaves surrounding healthy tissue and organs intact and unharmed.
- Is non-invasive and painless. Maintains a patient’s quality-of life during treatment process as an out-patient. Patients continue with normal activities during treatment. Play golf, tennis, swim, walk, run, workout in a gym, or go on a “radiation vacation.”
- Avoids the usual side effects of standard x-ray radiation. Minimum to no side effects with protons.
- Protons can be used in conjunction with other cancer treatment modalities such as chemotherapy.
- Treatment time can take from one day for certain conditions or up to eight weeks (prostate cancer) depending on tumor sites.
- Highly preferred radiation treatment modality option for pediatric cases because children are susceptible to injury from standard x-ray radiation as their tissues and organs are growing rapidly. Children don’t have to be subjected to needless exposure from damaging radiation.